Monday 9 March 2015

Developing My Own Brand



While working on other mini-projects, I decided to create my own brand to help standardize the fonts and colours I use while crediting the work I make.

I based my design around my inspiration in eagles. Hence the soaring eagle on the logo and the cursor based of the eye of an eagle. I used the pen tool in Illustrator to trace photos of eagles. The colours of the logo and cursor were taken from the the program's default colour palette. As for the background's colour palette, the colours were taken from one of the packaged colour palettes in Photoshop. I keep the artwork in Illustrator to avoid problems with pixelation. If I ever need them for graphics or printing, I would first copy a desired design into Photoshop. Then I would keep it as a smart object to retain its vector properties and resize it to a desired dimension.

The fonts I chose were purely out of personal preference. I chose a font from each main category: sans-serif, serif and monospace. The sans-serif font, Ebrima is the main font for this brand. The serif font, Book Antiqua is used when readability is important--especially for physical media such as books, posters, labels, etc., while the monospace (Consolas) font is used for displaying code. Consolas is my go-to font in programming environments and I always use it whenever it's available. I prefer Consolas over Courier New as I find the latter's serifs disorientating especially when look through lines of code.

No comments:

Post a Comment